Welcome to the PHMS/WHS Bands Homepage.
The Patrick Henry Middle School and Woodhaven High School Instrumental Music Department provides a high quality music education for every student. The PHMS/WHS Concert Bands are the foundation of the program. The many co-cirricular and extra cirricular ensembles are offered to supplement the concert band experience. It is the goal of the department that all students become life long lovers and consumers of high quality music while instilling professional behaviors that student’s can draw on in real world experiences.
Objevtives of the WHS Instrumental Music Program
- To teach music by its actual performance
- To develop performance skills on the various wind and percussion instruments
- To provide for the musical needs of the school and the community
- To develop discrimination with regard to the selection of music
- To develop professionalism
- To acquaint students with music theory/history and how history and musical composition relate to students’ lives and musical experiences.
- To provide all students with the opportunity for worthy use of their time, a means for self-expression, and a healthy social experience
- To develop the ability to function as a responsible member of a group, enhance interaction, and develop spirit and loyalty to our program, school and community
- To foster leadership skills within each student
Members of the PHMS/WHS Instrumental Music Program will be
- Able to perform independantly on their primary instrument
- Musicaly literate
- Able to make real world connections between music and other arts and disciplines
Please check back frequently for news, updates and announcements.